Monday, August 12, 2013

Retirement...A new Beginning

It has been a really long time since I've posted anything on this blog. It's like I get all enthusiastic, and then I just lose steam or creative juices or something. Anyway, I'm really going to try and post my writings a lot more. I do write a short blog of sorts on facebook every morning. It's my "good morning" musings to give folks a kind of uplifting beginning to their day. This blog could have some things in it that aren't all that uplifting all the time. It could have something controversial or not to your political liking, but more than likely, it will be general musings and such.

Since my last blog on this site, I have retired. I put in over 40 years, give or take a few to educating people from preschool to adults. Most wanted to be educated, especially the little ones. Little kids love to learn; then somewhere around the 3rd grade, some lose that quest for knowledge. I've often wondered why. Some of my middle school and high schoolers really wanted to learn; some did not. This was the way it was with my adults also. Those that wrapped their arms around learning generally went on to bigger and better things. Those that didn't, but wanted the easy way out every time, are still floundering around. This has been especially true in Adult Education, the form of education that I have been involved with over 20 years. I have seen so many triumphs with the adults who have pulled themselves up by the bootstraps, dug their heels in, and overcame many obstacles to reach their personal goals. These are the adults that never gave an excuse for anything. They just did it. The heartache in my job was that there were (and still are) those adults who so desperately want to achieve, but simply can't get over some hurdle. These are the ones who haunt me almost every day.

Some people think that retiring is coping out. Really?? I have worked at a paying job since I was 15. I'm 66 now. That's 51 years. That's enough for me except when it comes to my writing. I still am a feature writer for "Calhoun Magazine", and since 2008, I've looked at it as my second job. Now, it is my first job. Plus, I want to write more. I want to get a book together. I want some publisher to really like it because self publishing is just not in my budget. I also am savvy enough to know that it is really really difficult these days to publish anything for mass market.

I am enjoying retirement. It's nice, no, it's great not to set an alarm every night. It's wonderful to wake up at my usual 5 AM and realize that I don't have to get up if I don't want to...and sometimes, I don't. One morning, I slept past 7:30 after waking at 5, and saying to myself, "Nope, I'm going back to sleep." I think that was a mistake. I felt like my whole morning was off. I felt drugged. So now I get up pretty quickly after I wake up. It's getting closer to 6 AM now, though, and I'm okay with this.

So, I've begun a new beginning in my life. I have no regrets. Except, I still haven't fulfilled my dream of being a star on Broadway or of being a best selling author. I think there's still time. I'm an optimist.


3 comments:

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Congratulations on your retirement!

When I first retired, I continued to be up and about at 5:30 am, but now, two years later, I don't start my day till 8 am. It is a good feeling not to rush around anymore in the morning.

Retirement is a new life, new beginnings, but I realized I had to give up my aspirations of being a pole vaulter. Oh well, maybe I will swim the English Channel instead.

Coleen Brooks said...

It was sooooo good to see your face again on my blog. I am really going to try to be more consistent this go round. Thanks for the nice comment. Pole vaulter...maybe not, but the English Channel could happen.

Coleen Brooks said...

It was sooooo good to see your face again on my blog. I am really going to try to be more consistent this go round. Thanks for the nice comment. Pole vaulter...maybe not, but the English Channel could happen.