Wednesday, October 2, 2013

It's Been An Emergency Room Kind of Day

I gotta tell ya. It is absolutely no fun spending hours at an emergency room. But in the final scheme of things, I'm thankful we have such places. My husband was sick early this morning and he didn't get any better as the morning went on. We even cancelled a "well" doctor's appointment because he was too sick to go. I knew that it could be serious when he told me he thought he ought to go to the emergency room. Ever since he had a heart attack back in 1994 and other medical happening throughout the years, I do not take lightly my husband of 43 years request to head to the hospital.

He was most uncomfortable. He was in pain. He was nauseated. He felt weak. It was scary. So there I was...all by myself worried sick about the love of my life. I didn't want to bother the children They don't live in their hometown anymore. They have lives of their own. They have families, jobs, responsibilities that don't include their parents. And I wished they were all close by at that very minute of the day. I wished they could be in that room with me. Then, I felt cowardly. I felt selfish. I felt alone. So I put on my big girl panties and...texted one of our sons who lives in Atlanta. Our youngest, who lives in Chattanooga was sick himself, so I didn't want to worry him. He has an important job interview tomorrow.

Our daughter lives in middle Georgia and has a husband and children. Our oldest son lives in northern Alabama and has a wife and a job that takes much of his time. I didn't want to worry them. Our middle son has helped us a lot lately as we build on an addition for my mother to move into and we completely renovate our home. He has a job that is important also and it comes with a lot of responsibilities. I hated to bother him, but I thought I should let our children know about their dad via him since he was the closest. So I texted him. I told him not to come. I told him I would be in touch the minute I knew something. I felt relief when he appeared outside his dad's emergency room door.

The thing is, all our children would have come...every one. Although my husband and I aren't old old, we are older. When one of us is ill with something unknown, it becomes scary. This is when I miss my children the most, but let me emphasize that I don't expect them to drop everything if one of us is ill. That's just silly.

Everything turned out okay when it was all said and done. No heart attack. No appendicitis. No stroke or anything so dire. It seems a gawdawful virus is running rampant throughout our area. More than likely this was the culprit along with my sweet man not taking his meds properly that caused his illness. He takes quite a bit of medication and because of an arthritic hip procedure yesterday involving a needle and numbing medication, he forgot to take his meds. That's not a good thing.

Be that as it may, he ate some chicken noodle soup, jello, and drank some Gatorade and is feeling lots better. This means that I'm feeling lots better, too. That's the way it is when two people have been together as long as we have. I could ring his neck sometimes, but in truth, I'd much rather hug it.

And this makes my second blog for NaBloWriMo Blogger Month, and I still can't get it to come up on facebook. I am so technically challenged.  

1 comment:

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I have been through that often but know that if I did not call my children to let them know what is going on, they would be upset with me. We all need each other, especially in time of crisis or possible crisis.