Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Paula Deen Kind of Breakfast

I'm going to do something tomorrow morning that I haven't done in a while. I'm going to make my Sunday morning breakfast. This used to be an every Sunday morning thing, but once the kids started leaving home, I pretty much stopped except when they came home for a visit bringing along their spouses, grandkids, and various friends. Then, I decided that all that food wasn't all that good for a body EVERY Sunday. 

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't believe in denying yourself the foods that you love in the name of a diet. In the long run diets don't work unless you change your whole lifestyle, and the foods you eat on a diet become the foods you always eat. Generally, that doesn't happen. People are people and, I don't know about you, but every once in a while, I gotta have a piece of CocaCola cake, warmed, with vanilla ice cream on top. I never finish it, but I usually eat half. Lord have mercy, it's good.

I believe in using common sense and exercising. I like to dance and walk my dog. I do try to eat healthy, but sometimes I just don't. I just can't beat myself up over this indulgent activity. I do read labels and have gotten away from eating high cholesterol, trans fat, or high fructose corn syrup laden foods. But sometimes I just have to have something not good for me.

It's been months since I fixed my breakfast. I fry bacon and sausage, sometimes country ham. I scramble eggs, fix hash browns or grits or both. Tomorrow, it's both. I usually have some kind of fruit or fruit salad. And I make homemade biscuits from scratch. My dear sweet husband actually asked me to fix the breakfast today. He said he missed my biscuits. Oh, I'll make gravy from the sausage leavings, too. I wish all my family could be here to enjoy it. I won't do this again until probably the holidays.

No, it's not the healthiest of breakfasts. A high fiber, low sugar cereal is much better for one's body, but I'm not feelin' the need for that high fiber cardboardy tasting stuff tomorrow. I want grits...with butter and salt on them. I want some scrambled eggs, not boiled and not just scrambled egg whites. I want those eggs all mixed together with a little cream, some salt, and scrambled with a little butter. Paula Deen would love this breakfast. I want maybe 4 pieces of bacon, but I'll probably settle for two. I want that milky sausage gravy that my daddy taught me how to make slathered over my biscuit. I want a fruit salad with a little sugar sprinkled over it.

My mom is coming over for this breakfast along with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law. My youngest son will be here to indulge in the decadence also. It will be a bountiful breakfast, indeed.

Is my mouth watering? By golly, I believe it is. I can taste those fluffy biscuits already.

Yum!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe some hash browns as well and a litle jam for the toast and some pancakes with real Ontario maple syrup?

Coleen Brooks said...

Sounds great, mybabyjohn/Delores!!

Lady Jayne said...

Sunday morning breakfasts are a tradition in our house too, so I know exactly where you're coming from on this one.

And yeah, you really have to learn how to balance it all don't you? All good things in moderation, as they say.

:)

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I'll be right over and I am bringing a doggie bag with me. I know you don't want to get stuck with the leftovers.

Hard Drive Repairs Carrollton said...

Loved reading this thank you