Thursday, October 25, 2012

October, the Mountains, and Spectacular Colors

October is a splendid month and it's almost over. Today, my husband, mom, sister, and I ventured out and up to the mountains of Northeast Georgia with the destination being Amicalola Falls near Dawsonville.  The weather was glorious and the scenery was spectacular. The leaf colors are at their peak and just simply brilliant. You know, some years, the fall colors are just "so so." This year is definitely not one of them.

The falls were lovely. This was a perfect day for my mom. She needed it because her beloved doggie she adopted not too long after her husband of 67 years and my sweet daddy passed away. Roxi is a hefty Heinz 57 with some Rottweiler in her. She is a sweet tempered gentle dog that stole my mom's heart when Roxi licked her hand through her cage. She was slated to die that very day. Roxi became very ill a couple of days ago and had we not taken her to the vet, she probably would have died.

She has been diagnosed with diabetes which has caused some other complications. Mom absolutely loves this dog. She is getting excellent care and we are hopeful Roxi will get better soon. So...Mom needed a day to enjoy the outdoors and forget her concerns for a little while. Mom is this wonderful redheaded Irish (mainly with a little British and German) woman who is nearing 90, but acts and looks much much younger. She walked on the trails pretty as you please on her way to see the base of the falls. She laughed a lot and thoroughly enjoyed herself. I'm just so thankful the leaves and the weather were so breath-taking.

My sister, who lives in the Northwest, equally enjoyed herself. She's a picture buff and probably owns one of the last workable film cameras. She swears by her camera and believes film is much better than digital. I'm not going to argue with her. I like my little Canon and she likes her big Canon. It's all good as long as the pictures turn out well. We'll share them. She loved the area and all the brilliant colors.

We hoped to find a nice little restaurant in which to dine somewhere around Jasper, Georgia. What has happened to all the little "mom and pop" places or the local eateries in the smaller towns? I guess economics has taken its toll on these places. Most small towns had a downtown cafe or two that the locals frequented, but we could find nothing.

We wound up eating at a Cracker Barrel at home. That was okay. We all like this country comfort food place. You know it has to be good because it always, and I mean a l w a y s is  crowded. I love their "fried apples." The coffee is great and so is the frosted mug lemonade.

Anyway, this was a really wonderful day. I got to spend it with people I love and who love me. What more could I ask?

3 comments:

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Sounds perfect. It is a beautiful fall here also. Unfortunately, it will all end early next week when the hurricane hits - and it is expected to hit hard and have devastating effects. However, there is nothing I can do about it so I will just enjoy these lovely days before the storm.

I hope Roxi will be well soon.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Our fall been what we need up here in the Northwest is rain. Anyhow our summer was dry.
I have an Uncle and Aunt a short time ago they celebrated there 65 wedding anniversary.
Our little creature (pets) sure does play an important role in our lives.

Coffee is on.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

In regards to your comment in my blog, my favorite, favorite sports movie is The Natural, followed by The Hoosiers. Loved Field of Dreams also.